Sunday, March 8, 2009

Double the pleasure!

Unfortunately another week is upon us, but in order to get it started right I have for you some music.  Today though, because I'm such a nice guy, I will give you good friend price.  Today you get twice the normal amount of music.  That's right, TWO podcasts.  "Why?"  you may ask.  Because it's March 8th, that's why.  You know what happened on March 8th?  Me neither.  Wow!!!!!!!  Amazing!!!!! how can he possibly afford to give up this much free music?  Because I am, as they say, rad to the power of sick.  The first podcast is just the run of the mill Made In China installment of whatever I've been listening to lately.  You can get that one here.  The second, BONUS podcast is kinda special.  As some of you may know, not only do I teach music, but occasionally I play some myself.  That's right folks, I am what some would call a musician (kind of, but not really).  The second special podcast is an EP/mixtape of sorts of some of my music.  It's pretty random, but it includes:
  •  a mash-up I did when on the computer when I was about 15, before anyone even knew there was a hyphenated term for it
  • The remixes I've done
  • Some of the (phat) hip hop beats I've done
  • Some attempted electronic music
  • Three songs with real instruments (played by myself)
  • The beat for the soon-to-be-club-hit of-the summer "Flop Yo Junk"
All the music on this one was made by me at some point over the last few years (except for the first track).  All of the instruments, where there are any, are played by me.  All of the songs were arranged and composed by me.  Any live instruments were recorded using no more than two microphones, an Mbox and my laptop.  They're not pristine, and are by no means finished products (any of them), but they're ideas that I've had, worked on and are at a point where I don't mind sharing them.   It's gotten to the point where I have a small handful of songs that I've been sharing with a small handful of people, and now I'm at the point where I'd like for more people to hear my music and perhaps even give me some feedback.  What (if anything) do you particularly like?  Like I said before, it's a pretty random assortment of tunes, so which are your favorite.  If I hear back from enough people I might even post links to download individual tracks, but for now, please, PLEASE download THIS, give it a listen and let me know what you think.  It would mean a lot to me.  Thanks in advance.  

Not a whole lot else here on the away front.  Things are already kind of turning into a 'same shit, different day' routine, but it's all good for the time being.  The weather is getting nicer here every day.  It was in the 60's this weekend, and 50's during the days most of last week.  I was able to get out on my bike for at a least a little every day after school last week.  On wednesday I rode into the middle of town and played some pick up 5 on 5 full court basketball for a couple hours, then got a burger and a beer and rode home.  

I saw this band last night called Super Smash Up from San Francisco, who played a bunch of rock music while the singers sang other songs over the music.  It was kind of alright.  I doubt I would've gone to see them in the states, but it was nice to see a decent american rock band.  And they were definitely going for the rock star look.  I think a friend of mine took pictures of them, or one of them will give me the flyer, but let's just say I had a hard time figuring out if'n one of the singers was a man or a woman for a long time (it was a man, yikes).  

I managed to lose my cell phone last weekend, and in doing so lost all of your numbers.  If you ever think about it, it'd be pretty cool if you sent me an email (warehamenator@gmail.com) with your number so I could put it in my new phone in case I want to call yas on the skype sometime.  Also, I was kind of bummed because I lost a couple of numbers that I had recently gotten and never had a chance to hang out with the people whom the numbers belonged to, but then in the last week I randomly ran into every person I thought I wouldn't see again.  Weird shit.  

I did that 90k ride with the huge climb again yesterday and topped my time from last week of 34:30 by doing the climb in 32 minutes flat.  That hurt.  A lot.  I also decided to take a little faster on the way down since I know the road a little better now and made it down the mountain in about 9 or 10 minutes.  So that's 10k up in 32 minutes (around 19kph average), 10k down in 9 (over 60kph average).  This is my new favorite thing.  

The band is getting better every day.  It's pretty cool.  And on that, I'm gonna peace the funk out and go plan my lessons for the week.  

-B

No comments: