Tuesday, March 3, 2009

Dook Dooka Dooka Dook


On monday I was rehearsing my week and a half old band and they were, as expected, sounding pretty bad. This was normal however since they have only been playing together for a week and a half and many of them have only really played their instruments for about a month total. For the last week whenever we would try and play the same note, it would end up sounding like some terrible fog horn of sorts. So we spent about 20 minutes tuning, one by one, to try and get everyone's instrument in tune with everyone else's. After tuning, I decided to have them play a B flat major chord. I gave each section specific notes to play, made sure they all knew their fingerings, and then cued them to play, and nearly shat my pants. It sounded.........amazing. They sounded, for about 5-8 seconds, like a decent highschool band. I thought my ears were broken. It knocked me back a step. When they cut I was speechless for a couple seconds. Then we tried it again to make sure it wasn't a fluke, and the second one wasn't quite as good, but it was still way better than I expected. Anyways, after being here in China for about 6 months now, I had a 'this is why i'm doing what i'm doing' feeling and it felt pretty good.

Moving on....

For some reason I thought of this the other day. This song was the source of many hours of entertainment in Larson 704 my sophomore year of college. This one goes out to one Mr. Joe M Anderson. Enjoy.


No comments: