Wednesday, September 10, 2008

Current residence: Beijing

I arrived here in one piece a few days ago. I'm pretty sure it's Wednesday today. No, I'm sure of it now since I just remembered that classes start tomorrow. Classes start tomorrow and I still don't know what I'm going to be teaching. Things are pretty chaotic here in the offices of Saint Paul American School since the official schedule still isn't complete and as soon as it is the students still need to be placed into classes. I've offered to help with that which will take my mind off of the fact that I have no clue what I'll be teaching tomorrow. I'm supposed to be starting a band, but as of now I don't know how many students brought their own instruments, I don't know what my budget is to buy anything, I don't have anything in my room, not even chairs, and I've been scheduled (tentatively) with the two highest level of english speakers which means I'll only have a handful of the musicians (if any). All of this, and I'm surprisingly calm right now.

According to one of the returning teachers, as chaotic as it seems, it's still unbelievably better than last semester. The principal is being very reassuring about being flexible and letting me know that I will have things to do and that it's ok that I don't know what they are yet.

I have an apartment and a roommate (which is going to save me a LOT of money). Plus, the apartment is huge and we each have our own bathrooms so it won't be crowded at all.

I'll try to take some pictures and post them soon, but I haven't had much time to relax since I've gotten here since I had to go to work my first day here. I'll also try and write a more comprehensive post soon. Later all.

3 comments:

e. wilson said...

good luck! see you in a few thousand hours!

noel said...

whatuo dude. iz linked ur blogz n shit.

Jenn said...

love it, dude. i'm going to wake my blog from the dead pretty soon. good luck with your lack of chairs and everything, i know you're up to it. now go do some adventurous eating for me. have you been in touch with anton? i know he's not in beijing anymore, but just for recommendations and so on...