Sunday, November 9, 2008

Electoin Smelection

Here's the real reason why the O to the B to the A-M-A is soon to be in the Oval Office: Dude's got skillz.




Seriously though, apparently there was actual expectation for me to post things about the election and my opinion, perhaps even provide some sort of anecdote about witnessing this historical event from half way around the world.

Really though, I don't have much. I paid about $20 USD top make sure my vote arrived on time in Ramsey County. It did (the UPS tracking site told me so, even though the address apparently changed and it didn't make it to the right place initially). It was kind of funny though trying to press the importance of this election on a bunch of Korean, Chinese, Mongolian, and Philipino kids. It was also really interesting to try to explain the electoral college to 5 different groups of students. In fact, I was quite taken aback when I used my brilliant powers of deduction to figure out that there must be about 540 votes in the electoral college if it took 270 to win. However as I announced this to my 3rd period health class, Parker Park (a Korean student (and yes that is his real name)) immediately corrected me by saying very matter-of-factly "Actually there are 538." Stunned, I turned around, narrowed my eyes and asked him how he knew that, to which he replied that he had learned it the class before from another teacher. "Thank goodness." I said. "I kind of hoped that some 16 year old Korean kid didn't know more about my own country than I do." Ok, there's your anecdote.

Also, rather than going out and drinking in celebration at lunch time with some of the university students I now know, I instead celebrated our newly elected Muslim president by eating at a Chinese Muslim restaurant for lunch. Victory tasted delicious.

My Mom forwarded me an email from my Dad in which he admitted that the morning after the election, while he was alone in the house, he put on Hey Ya by Outkast and danced around in celebration (sorry dad). My point in all this is that I'm sure you all celebrated in some way (unless you're a Republican, OOPS! However, if you are I'm not sure why you're reading my blog). For instance, I celebrated the next morning by playing the first two tracks off of the album Phantom Power by Super Furry Animals ( A Welsh band) which are titled "Hello Sunshine" and "Liberty Bell". Also, to give my dad credit (probably more than he deserves), my dad didn't just pick up on the Outkast phenom with Hey Ya. It's entirely possible/probable that my copy of Stankonia at home was in fact purchased by my father, not for me but for himself. He has also seen Outkast in concert before. So there, to give credit where it's due, my dad isn't some 40-something dad, dancing around in his living room to some upbeat sell out song, he was there years before. Anywho, there's yet one more anecdote.

I'm thinking about putting together an "Election Victory" Podcast. Expect the two super furry animal tracks, as well as "Changes" by Tupac, and any other blatantly hopeful/inspirational/obvious songs I can think off. Now as I leave you, I jab my fist in the air and give you a loud and hearty "Yes we can!" and I encourage you to do the same (seriously. do it now dammit). Now, if Minnesota could only elect a Senator....

-Ben

No comments: